Friday 29 June 2012

Review updates

A quick update on my recent reviews, now I've been using the bits review for a few months.



Novatec MTB Hubs


Review here. I've been riding these (on the road) for about four or five months now with zero problems. The pickup on the freehub is decent, the hubs still spin as freely as when new. I've been quietly impressed by these hubs and would happily buy these or other Novatec hubs again, including all the rebranded (Superstar Switch Evo, etc) versions.

Its just a shame I can't say the same thing about the rims these are laced to (Rigida Chrinas) which will end up being swapped at some stage.

On-One Max hubs...


Review here. These have been out on the trail a small number of times. They're spinning nicely (as they should at this stage). The bushed freehub picks up quite nicely. Great so far. The only bit I had any real concern about was the freehub shell, so I'll see what that looks like in a couple of months time - don't forget these things are straight out the downhill page of Chosen's catalogue - and in DH the freehub isn't going to be considered the most important component on the hubs, the hub shell needs to be strong and the bearings have to hold up to plenty of gravity based abuse; an XC/AM bike will dish out more abuse on the freehub.

...and Sun Ringle Estate Rims


Review here. Really happy with these so far. Again, I'm going to need a few months to really tell how ding-resistant these rims are. They're not the lightest bits of MTB kit so should withstand some abuse. No problems getting any tyres on and off the rims - tried a couple of different Contis, Tioga, Bontrager and the Panaracer CGs which now live on the rims permanently - all of which go on with no need for levers. I've had no problems at all using the ghetto tubeless method on these, no burping or any squirming through corners and I'm running sub 30psi. The wide profile gives high volume tyres a really full profile.

Anyway - really pleased with the result of matching the On-Ones to the Estates. I'll do another update on the freehub in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment