Sunday 11 August 2013

Epicon forks for the xc rig...



Well, what with moving house recently there's not been a lot of time to either ride or write any blog posts here. A seemingly endless stream of small jobs on the place has conspired to keep me away from riding bikes or fixing them.

New arrival in the ride it fix it shed recently is a suntour epicon x1. My xc bike had a rigid fork, second hand, which arrived with a cut steerer. I kind of put up with the low bar position for as long as possible, but I'd always been keeping my eyes open for a half decent spring fork with a complete intact steerer. Could I find one? Could I sausages.

So the answer had to be a new fork. As usual, budget was low, so it wasn't going to be a kashima coated fox... I hadn't really considered suntour - rs were the first choices, but it turns out that the suntour forks, in 100mm travel anyway, are easy to pick up from Taiwanese shops selling internationally. And the price is right, a good £100 lower than a comparable rs (I think recon air forks are comparable weight and features). And suntour have been making forks under other brands names for some time now, plus their recent own brand efforts are being well received.

Press pay, wait...

And wait...

Three weeks later they're here in the flesh, so to speak.

Nice clean finish, kind of understated graphics, just the big "epicon" logo down the side plus a discrete suntour logo on the crown. It's light (ish), not quite Sid light but light enough at 1.6kg. Came with a remote lockout as well. My bars now have nearly as many buttons as my TV remote...

Stay tuned for a ride report after I've had some time on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment